31/05/2015

Why & How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes

I feel like this post is really needed, because we all use makeup brushes on a daily basis and of course we need to keep them clean just like our skin. 

The real question is WHY should I even "waste" my time with cleaning the brushes that will get dirty after one use anyway? Well here is the disgustingly honest answer:
When you clean your brushes, you´re not just getting rid of old makeup but also of dirt, oil, dust, dead skin cells and bacteria! Ugh, that was gross.
If you listen to several makeup artists, they all recommend to clean your brushes at least every two weeks, but it also depends on if you´re suffering from skin breakout, if so then you should obviously clean your brushes more often.
Eyeliner brushes should be cleaned after every(!) use, not only is that important to achieve a clean line, but also to prevent eye infections!

Now that I´m done with my lecture, I also want to help you all with keeping your brushes clean and to do that I share my pretty easy brush cleansing routine:
The way I do it, is definitely not for giving your brushes a deep cleanse, but more of a every now and then, keeping your brush fresh and clean way.

All you need is:
>Brush cleanser or a mild shampoo
>Kitchen roll or cotton pads
>All dirty brushes you have

Step 1: I take 2 kitchen rolls and fold them 3-4 times, so they are thick enough and the liquid can´t get through.
Step 2: I pour a small amount of the cleanser onto the roll, about the size of your brush head will be enough.
Step 3: Swish the brush back and forth gently and don´t forget to reshape the hair while they are still wet.
Step 4: To let your brushes dry, you can either hang them upside down or you can hang them over the edge of a table so the air can circulate.

To give you an idea of what a difference my routine does to my makeup brushes , I took some Before & After pictures of my Foundation, Blending, Shadow, Powder and Concealer Brush:
I really hope this post has helped you, even if just in a slightest!
Do you have any tips on how you clean your brushes? Are there any products that help you to clean your makeup brushes faster or easier?

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This post has just reminded me to wash my brushes! I don't normally spot clean my brushes that often, I deep clean them a lot though, otherwise they get very dirty haha! Great post xx

    Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xx
      What do you use to deep clean your brushes?

      Delete
  2. aw the mac brush cleaner looks so good xx

    cristynottingham.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also is very good! My brushes dry so fast with it
      also it is definitely worth the price, I bought it last October(!) and have only just used half of it :) xx

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig