26/02/2016

Why I Decided To Go On a Spending Ban

Spending Ban Flat Lay
I never thought I would officially admit that, but I´m spending too much money on too much makeup. I find myself strolling through Instagram, Twitter, online shops and my local drugstore very often and also very often I buy things that I already have at home or something that´s really similar to something I already have. It´s the worst with foundations and makeup brushes, of course there are several different finishes in foundations and several different makeup brushes that can be used for many different things, but as I´m still a student who spends most of the day at school and at home I really have way too much stuff that I´ll probably barely use fully up.
After I had a conversation with my mum, who was the same opinion as me (to be honest, she was the one who got me thinking like that) I decided that I´ll try to go on a spending ban until my birthday, which is the 7th April. 
That´s a bit more than a month that I won´t buy any makeup products at all!

The sad truth:
The feeling of getting new makeup that you´ve been eyeing for a while because literally everyone owns it and raves about it, or because you have seen it being used in Tutorials on Youtubes is definitely a good one maybe even a satisfying feeling? But how long do you have that feeling? and is it really that "cool" to be one in a million who uses that 40€ foundation from MAC? Don´t get me wrong I´m a huge fan of mine foundation but it is not that special to me anymore a few days after I got it. It´s just there and I use it everyday. I do enjoy treating myself with new products every now and then but the joy of getting it doesn´t last really long and I find myself going off and buying a replacement shortly after. That is definitely not a good way of spending my hard earned money. I often think of all the things that I could spend that money on that will actually bring joy to my life! 

Something I´m worried about:
Thinking about it now I most often buy things just because I feel like I´m missing out on something. It sounds hard but I think if I wouldn´t be spending as much time on social media as I´m doing right now I wouldn´t have as much makeup and skincare products as I have at the moment. With brands like Makeup Revolution and ABH launching in Germany in the next time, it will only get harder for me to not run out and buy everything that I have planned to buy for some time now. I think you could call it a "Fear Of Missing Out"?

What keeps me motivated?
Now let´s bring the positivity back to this post haha :)
Not only will I be saving money but I´ll try to reduce my daily useage of makeup. It will be good for myself to feel confident in my own skin but also my skin will hopefully look and feel a lot better. Lately I´ve been getting little bumps on my cheeks and also a bit on my forehead so I hope they will go away with leaving the heavy foundation behind and reaching for a face mask in the evening instead. A huge plus for leaving the foundation in my makeup stash is that I´ll also have about 20 minutes more time to sleep in the morning, if that´s not a pretty good reason than I don´t know haha!

So as you can see, I really thought a lot about going on that spending ban and I´m feeling really positive about doing it and maybe even extend it to after my birthday.

Wish me luck and I´ll definitely report back on how it went :)

Have you ever been on a spending ban?
Would you go on a spending ban?
What are your thoughts about it?

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I went on one at the start of the year and it worked quite well for me, I do see the positives and negatives of it and they're the ones which you've mentioned here!
    Charlotte // www.charlottespicks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that it worked for you :) Even though it´s just the start of mine I find that it is harder than I thought it would be haha x

      Delete
  2. This is honestly a really smart idea, I have the same FOMO mindset. I'm trying to budget but it's so difficult! Good luck, you can do it! :)


    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The FOMO is pushing through currently but I´m trying my best to ignore it haha :) x

      Delete
  3. Ooh you've got me inspired to go on a spending ban and try to finish up some of my huge collection! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to hear that haha :)
      Good luck! x

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig