20/04/2016

5 SEO Tips From A SEO Newbie

5 SEO Tips from a seo newbie Before I start with a hopefully helpful post, I wanted to let you all know why I missed out on a week of blogging. School is demanding my whole attention and motivation as my finals are coming up in June, and we are just writing our last exams in every other subject so I had to get prepared for 3 exams last week and 3 more are to come (plus a few short ones). I found a bit of time today to sit down and blog which I really needed to calm down again.

So now, I wanted to dedicate this post to SEO.
SEO seems like a really scary technical subject, but no worries if you don´t confuse yourself with searching through several SEO websites over Google it will be no problem at all. I have read myself through quite a few SEO blog posts from fellow bloggers until I even really got what SEO really is and what it does for my blog and now I want to give my knowledge over to you all. Don´t expect too much as I´m still a beginner in this topic and don´t really know much about it yet, but what I do know is that it has improved my blog traffic quite well, together with loads of sharing my posts over social media of course

I would say we start with the basics.
What does SEO even mean? SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation, knowing word for word what SEO means probably won´t help you a lot more but I´ll try to put it into my own words. SEO means making your blog more popular on search engines (Google, etc.), so when something like a specific subject or product review is searched for, your blog is most likely to appear on the first page and maybe even quite far up, which means for you a consequent increase of your blog traffic! Sounds amazing doesn´t it?
Now that we all know what this thing is even about, we can start working on it!

TIP 1: Name Your Images
Naming my images was the first thing I learned when I really got into SEO. Search engines pick up images names so please don´t forget to name every picture you add in your blog posts. The best would be if you name them on your computer, so right after you are done editing them and again as soon as you write your blog posts. How? Simply click on the picture you want to name, click on Properties and type in the image´s name in both, the title text line and the ALT text line (the same as you named it on your computer). I name my pictures after what can be seen on the pictures if I do a product review or something similar (for example: Benefit Rollerlash Mascara)
Also add a good amount of pictures to your post, it doesn´t matter if you all put them to the top of your post or put them here and there throughout the post to kinda "categorize" your post. Pictures are the first impressions of your post so put the best one at the very top :)

TIP 2: Choose a good headline
I have to be honest, choosing a good title for my posts sometimes seems like the hardest part of publishing a post. With the thought of getting a lot of views I always think "What would I type into Google to search for this topic I´m currently writing about?". First off all it needs to be long enough, a long headline that consists of about 65 letters. I once read that it would be the best to start your headline with a number or your main keyword. And of course it should show your readers exactly what your post is about, and so even attract more readers. If the post has a good and interesting title I´m most likely to click on it and read it  

TIP 3: Use Your Keywords
This tip isn´t only for your SEO but also a kinda help for you to keep concentrated and make it easier for you to write the post. While you are writing think about what specific topic your post is about and think of a few words that first come up in your mind when you think of that topic and try to use them as often as possible throughout the whole writing process, in the headline and in the name of your image if possible. 
Let´s say I write a review about the Benefit Rollerlash Mascara, the words that first come up in my mind is "beauty"; "makeup" ; "review" ; "mascara" ; "benefit" ; etc. you hopefully get the point, haha :)

TIP 4: Add a Description
Adding a description is the perfect opportunity to add your keywords even more often and so make your post even more likely to appear on the front page of a search engine. If you are like me and wonder where to add that strange description here is how to get it:
Go to Settings > Search Preferences > Description > Enable Search Description and voilá, if you now go to write a new post you will see the search description on the right sidebar. Simply fill them in with what your post is exactly about and you are good to go!
But be careful, don´t make it too long about 160 letters are perfectly fine.

TIP 5: Remove Broken Links
I´m being honest now and say, removig broken links isn´t something I have done yet but will definitely have to as I hear it being mentioned so often over on Twitter or in other SEO posts. Broken links are basically links on your website and in your posts that once lead to a website that doesn´t exist anymore, or links to a post that has been moved on the specific website. Google, and other searching engines, will rate your blog lower the more broken links you have on your website as they are recognized as spam, so your blog is seen as spam aswell if you don´t remove them. I will definitely do it reeeeally soon!

That were all my tips that I have for SEO so far! Oh, I nearly forgot to let you in on a kinda secret that will literally save your life in things of improving your SEO, I recently discovered a page called SEO Content Analysis! All you have to do is copy your whole post (including images) and paste it into this site. The site will then rate your post and give you tips on what to improve to get a better SEO result! How amazing is that?

Do you have any SEO tips?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig